Saturday, November 15, 2014

Maleficent (muh-lef-uh-suh nt)

adjective
1. doing evil or harm; harmfully malicious

Malicious  (muh-lish-uh s)

adjective
1.
full of, characterized by, or showing malice; malevolent; spiteful:
malicious gossip.
2.
Law. vicious, wanton, or mischievous in motivation or purpose.
I just finished watching the movie, "Maleficent" and I have to say, its a good movie, showing an opposing view on the typical Disney fairy tale of Aurora in Sleeping Beauty.  It shows a different side of the story with a different ending.  Now me, being the type of person I am, always tend to read into things a bit more than I should, and I took an in-depth meaning from it, and realized just how much it actually plays into real life.  It tells the story of how Maleficent was once a fairy (which holds true to the original story) and was betrayed by the one she loved.  This caused her to become scorned with a feeling of betrayal.  How could love exist when the one she truly cared for took her love to betray her and still her wings.  How ironic is it that it said we soar on the wings of love, and her love betrayed stole her wings.  Her heart crushed, she became resentful and acted on that betrayal to put forth the curse.  After some time had passed, she came to regret that curse.  Sound familiar?  Ironically, it was her love for the Aurora that broke the curse.  The love of a child renewed her heart and taught her that love does exist if we only look in the right place for it.  This movie actually made me feel sorry for Maleficent and the heart ache she had to endure.  We all at some point, have felt betrayed by someone we truly cared for.  It made us resent that person.  After such heart ache, it is hard for us to trust in love again, or put our heart out there.  I know it has for me.  I have put my heart out there only to have it betrayed.  I could relate with Maleficent in the scorn and resentment that she endured.  In the end, it was her kiss on the forehead that broke the curse.  The thing she hated came to be the thing she loved.  How true it is for us in real life.  We are afraid to love because of a past experience.  How long will we live in that resentment and scorn?  How long before we learn to love again?

No comments:

Post a Comment